Google
 

10 November 2008

Poetry: Joy Harjo

Most poetry in the world isn't on the page.
Joy Harjo
Joy Harjo speaks about her new CD, Winding Through the Milky Way.



I've been reading and enjoying Harjo's poems since the late 1980s, and met her in 1991 when she did a reading where I was in graduate school. Her grace and charm made a deep and lasting impressions upon me. I've long enjoyed the way she plays the saxophone during her readings as an integral element in her poetry. Her comments in this video respond to those that see music as separate and distinct from the lines she writes and reads.

From her website:
Start with a voice. Let it fly free. Bring in a saxophone to touch those places the words can't reach.

1 comment:

likesforests said...

"Battleship Potemkin" is an interesting choice of favorite movie. I bought the Kino version shortly after buying Ayn Rand's "We The Living". Sergei Eisenstein was a great director, but the film is somewhat marred for me due to the communist embellishments. I think the source material was incredible enough to stand on its own.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP